Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Must Have Pantry Spices and Condiments

Below are my absolute must haves when it comes to spices and condiments. I combine my seasonings and condiments in all kinds of ways: to make salad dressings, marinades, rubs for meat, and of course to add wonderful flavors to my meals. 
If you want to start using your own seasonings rather than relying on packets of seasoning I really recommend stocking up on these go to spices first and then adding as you become more familiar with the spice world. Spices can be expensive, as a way to save money I like to buy my spices from my store's bulk section. Dollar stores also carry a variety of spices too so don't count them out. Seasonings can really turn something good into GREAT.
Again the condiment list below are items I keep regularly stocked in my pantry. I never buy salad dressings anymore as I prefer to make my own. I get to control my ingredients and sodium this way. All of the condiments are really inexpensive and last a really long time as you don't typically use a lot in one use. Try and experiment with making your own salad dressings. I recommend trying about 1 tsp of vinegar to 1/2 a cup of oil and add more if you need it. You know what the saying is...you can always add more, but you can't take it away. I like to add onion powder and a spice like thyme or oregano to my dressings, and also a little salt and pepper to taste. Combine your ingredients and whisk whisk whisk...or as I like to do put it in a small mason jar and shake shake shake! See below for my family's favorite vinaigrette.


Spices:

Garlic salt
Onion powder
oregano
cumin
chili powder
paprika
thyme
chicken bullion
beef bullion
brown sugar (not a spice but I use this a lot in rubs)

condiments:
balsamic vinegar
cider vinegar
worstecesire sauce
olive oil
canola oil
lime juice
lemon juice
grape or strawberry jelly (not jam)
honey

My Family's Favorite Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil or canola oil
1 tsp jelly
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

combine all ingredients by whisking or shaking in closed container. Taste for seasoning and toss with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment