Saturday, April 30, 2011

The One-Minute Organizer Plain and Simple - Book Review


Yesterday I read through The One Minute Organizer Plain & Simple by Donna Smallin. Donna Smallin is also the author of Organizing Plain and Simple a book I have also read through. I applaud Smallin's philosophy of one minute at a time to an organized home. She breaks up our homes into little bites rather than "stuffing the whole cupcake into our mouth."

She has lots of ideas for paperwork, drawers, closets, toys, refrigerators and all quick little tasks that can be accomplished in a very small amount of time, yet be very gratifying. I think my favorite parts in the book are her orange pages...each has an inspirational message on it to help us regain focus and not to be too hard on ourselves from past experiences. As a matter of fact I have been posting these quotes on my Facebook page.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Minute-Organizer-Plain-Simple-Getting/dp/1580175848

All in all, I think this book is a great starting point for the person who doesn't know where to begin and truly believes they don't have enough time. If you are someone who is looking for more advanced levels of ideas to help you become more organized, this book probably isn't it, as it really addresses those that really are at the beginning of this process. Although lots of great ideas are offered in this book, I found myself reading those ideas 2 or 3 times as she repeats herself in some sections.

I found even though I don't have huge issues with organizing through out my home, there was some inspirational items to found in the book. I think one of my favorite quotes from her book is
Aim to surround yourself with BEAUTIFUL and useful things. Give yourself permission to let go of the rest. It's just taking up space and weighing you down.

I think this can be true for anyone. Never let the possessions you have, quilt you into keeping them, but only keep things that truly make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment