Monday, May 2, 2011

Celebrate the World with Your Kids


I have just finished spring break with my girls and I have to say after two weeks of not much planned I'm a little worried about the summer. I have 1 month to plan some activities for us to do so we have something to look forward to and to also entertain us. A few days ago my husband and I decided this summer we should celebrate the world with the kids. This really shouldn't cost us any money, unless we want it to, and it will be a great learning experience for all of us.

Our goal is going to be to experience a country that we have never experienced before a couple of times a month. We aren't talking Mexico either because as Southern Californians we experience Mexican cuisine quite often. I think an African Country, an European country, a South American Country, and an Asian country are definitely on the agenda as they represent 4 of the 7 continents.

We have 8 weeks that will be available to us this summer so we will pick a country bi-weekly which allows 4 countries. I love our library system because after we pick our countries I can go to our libraries website and reserve books about the country and also some cookbooks. Of course the internet is a huge ocean of information too. Each week on our designated family night we will cook a meal in honor of the country and do a little something else too. Maybe a craft or read a traditional story or custom from the country.

This is a series of activities I look forward to. Its economical, cultural, and family oriented. I know the girls will love going through cook books with me to figure out what we will be brave enough to try. I will post our weekly menus starting in late June and perhaps some pictures to go with it. Also, I will be on the hunt for more budget friendly ideas and activities to do with the kids this summer. I want to make it a fun summer, I only have so many left with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment