Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coffee Shop at Home

We all love our coffee beverages, but if your on a budget they aren't something you get to indulge in all the time. Well I've come up with my own little coffee drink without the expense, but its still a treat and almost rivals the fancy coffee house...I said almost.
Instant espresso is the key, because I don't have one of those espresso machines nor do I want the maintenance of one. You can pick a jar or can of the instant espresso at the grocery store for between $3-$5. This might be the cost of 1 coffee house drink, but you will get about 8-10 drinks from this one jar.
My favorite drink from home is the mocha latte. First I fill a microwave safe glass mug with about half a cup of water and microwave it for 1 minute. Then I add 1 heaping tsp of espresso powder (or 2 tsp if I want it really strong), 1 tsp of cocoa powder, and about 2 tsp of sugar and mix all of these with the hot water until all is dissolved. Then I take milk and fill the mug the rest of the way, stick back in the microwave for about a minute and a half. Then its ready to enjoy.
Variations:
1 tsp of vanilla extract instead of cocoa (could even add a dash of cinnamon with it)
add caramel and vanilla instead of cocoa and sugar
Or just drink unflavored and/or unsweetened
Blended - still heat up the water and dissolve flavors and sweeteners but then blend with milk and ice till smooth
I know nothing really beats going to the coffee house for our FIX but this can help with the cravings for a fraction of the cost.
And Starbucks fans, I think it is well worth mentioning that starting the 6th of May Starbucks will be having happy hour from 3pm-6pm - half price on Frappuccino, hey even I know you really can't beat the real thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment